Federal Regulations Title 23: Highways Part 655.603, states that the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, "…is the national standard for all traffic control devices installed on any street, highway, or bicycle trail open to public travel…" Section 2B.04, paragraph 05 of this document states that "YIELD or STOP signs should not be used for speed control."

Mid-block crosswalks provide pedestrians with a false sense of security and actually make crossing less safe. The Federal Highway Administration has published a report on this issue. In response to this report, the City of Conway Transportation Department drafted a policy on mid-block crosswalks and is dedicated to removing all uncontrolled mid-block crosswalks as soon as possible.

Federal Regulations Title 23: Highways, Part 655.603, states that the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, "…is the national standard for all traffic control devices installed on any street, highway, or bicycle trail open to public travel…". Section 2B.13, paragraph 03 of this document states that "Speed Limit (R2-1) signs, indicating speed limits for which posting is required by law, shall be located at the points of change from one speed limit to another."
In compliance with this requirement, departmental policy is to place a speed limit sign at every entrance to a neighborhood that intersects a street with a higher speed limit.

These signs are no longer installed within the public right-of way.
For a complete explanation, please see the City of Conway Transportation Department’s Roadway Signage Departmental Policy.

If you would like to report an issue involving a state highway, please contact the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department main office or District 8 office. To report an issue involving a local road within the City of Conway, please file a Street & Traffic Maintenance Report. If the issue involves a county road, please contact the Faulkner County Road Department.

If you see a street light that flickers or is completely out, please report it to the Conway Corporation via email or by calling (501) 450-6000.
Please provide as much detail as possible concerning the location of the light.

To report a drainage problem associated with a city street or drainage easement, please file a Street & Traffic Maintenance Report. Please be aware that due to limited funding, we cannot guarantee that all needs will be addressed. In addition, street fund expenditures are limited to "transportation projects" by A.C.A. § 27-70-207. All reported issues will be reviewed for funding eligibility and prioritized according to need and availability of funds and personnel. If a problem exists on private property, and you believe the owner may be in violation of ordinance O-00-54, please submit a Code Compliance Complaint.

Roundabouts are safer, faster, and cheaper than other types of intersections. More information is available from the Federal Highway Administration

Unfortunately, the City of Conway's annual pavement maintenance budget is less than one fifth of the estimated need. In order to ensure that every dollar is spent as efficiently as possible, the City of Conway Pavement Management Program was implemented in 2017. Pavement condition information for every public road within the City Limits can be viewed on the interactive Pavement Condition Map.

Funding for the Transportation Department comes primarily* from five sources:

  1. State highway revenue (mostly in the form of gasoline taxes) distribution to the Municipal Aid Fund which, in accordance with A.C.A. § 27-70-207(c)(1)(A), may be used for "The maintenance, construction, and reconstruction of streets that are not continuations of state highways…including without limitation those projects defined as a transportation system under § 27-76-103(15)".
  2. Natural Gas Severance Taxes which, in accordance with A.C.A. § 26-58-124(c)(2) are subject to the limitations of A.C.A. § 27-70-207(c)(1)(A)
  3. State 0.5% sales taxes which, in accordance with HJR1001, Section 5.(b)(1) are subject to the limitations of A.C.A. § 27-70-207(c)(1)(A)
  4. Half of the annual three-mill road tax (including payments in lieu) which, in accordance with § 26-79-104(a), may be used "for use in making and repairing the streets and bridges".
  5. A portion of the City sales tax which, in accordance with R-01-18, may only be used "to improve employee salaries".

* Other funding, in the form of fees, interest income, etc. accounts for less than 1% of the total departmental budget.

Unfortunately, our street sweepers are not designed to pick up leaf piles. Please be aware that ordinance O-09-55 states that it is "…unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to drop, dispose of, throw, toss, or otherwise deposit leaves, paper, debris, brush, limbs, grass, or other similar articles in drainage ditches, curbs, and along gutters of city streets in the City of Conway, Arkansas." In addition, "…violating any provision of this Code shall be punished by a fine not to exceed $500.00, or double such sum for each repetition thereof."
All residential yard waste shall be disposed of in accordance with Department of Sanitation guidelines.

All Transportation Department construction projects for which a funding strategy exists or that have been approved by the City Council are listed under the Future Projects section of the Transportation Department Website. Potential projects for which no funding has been allocated are listed under Future Projects section. Unfortunately, until a funding strategy exists for a project, an estimated construction timeline cannot be determined.

The land upon which a public right-of-way exists is generally owned by adjacent property owners and, therefore, property owners are responsible for general maintenance (i.e. mowing grass and weeds, removing stagnant pools of water, etc.) of public rights-of-way and drainage easements. 

An easement provides the city with the right to perform necessary roadway and drainage maintenance, but does not release the adjacent property owner from complying with restrictions and responsibilities specified in local ordinances, such as the nuisance abatement code; (O-09-55). 

Public streets (and drainage infrastructure) are generally placed in Public right-of-way easements but the city does not generally own the land upon which the street occupies.  The City of Conway is responsible for keeping public streets within the city limits in a condition that is reasonably safe for ordinary travel.  The following article is helpful in understanding the responsibilities of private property owners and cities or counties with regards to public right-of-way and easements;What is the Nature of a Public Right-of-Way?

The City of Conway Traffic Calming Program process is described in the governing ordinance R-18-07.

Concerned citizens may fill out a traffic calming application and submit it to the Transportation Department for review.

Traffic Calming Packet

To request permission to close a public street please fill out the Event Permit Application, and return it to Felicia Rogers in the Mayor’s office at Felicia.Rogers@conwayarkansas.gov